Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Kingyo Izakaya Denman. St. Vancouver BC






(above are the 4 dishes out of 11 we had at Kingyo)

Tonight my hubby @vancitycanuck (on twitter) and I decided to go for our celebratory dinner. We were celebrating that it's been a month since we've gotten married, sold our condo at the same time, moved out by ourselves and moved in by ourselves, signed off all the papers etc. This has been a well deserved dinner and so picking where I wanted to eat was a big deal.

I was done eating white food since coming back from Mexico and I really wanted to get the bad taste left in my mouth since eating "sushi" in Mexico. The thoughts of tasteless lukewarm seabass sashimi left a very.. very sour taste in my month. Since coming back, I've been dreaming of izakaya and fresh Vancouver seafood. Tonight was the night..

We ate our hearts out(especially my little heart).. We asked the waitress, which was so kind to us, how many dishes usually a couple ate, she said it averages around 5-6 dishes...

My hubby and I polished off 10 izakaya dishes, he had the sapporo and I had the asahi and took home the stewed pork belly "kakuni" and half of the japanese style calamari. Towards the end we were feeling quite full so I didn't order the almond tofu. damn! The waitress who took care of our bill was quite amazed and asked us for our opinion on the food.. at this point we were the only party other than a big group of japanese students left in the restaurant. I told her everything was delish! The service was great and the waitresses were terrrrific!!! Our bill came out to a mear $150 which was much less than expected~

I love izakaya and tried all the Guu's, Gyoza King, Nann Chu and now Kingyo.. Kingyo was definitely upper crust than Guu but in the end, I think I would go back to our old standby.. the Guu in gastown.

No comments:

Post a Comment